This 2 tier wedding cake is a simple white and gold wedding cake with cake topper. Not much needed here, but the beauty lies in the simplicity. It is a white and gold buttercream wedding cake with flowers and a DIY cake topper. As usual I always ask the couple for their flavor preferences and the result is a mascarpone strawberry frosting with milk chocolate pieces for the first tier and a Kinder Bueno inspired chocolate cream cheese frosting with Kinder Schokolade, Nutella and Kinder Bueno pieces.
- You can view the entire step by step baking process in my Instagram highlights
- Get inspired by more wedding cake recipes here
White Wedding Cake Recipe from Scratch
It is a white and gold buttercream wedding cake, that means the entire wedding cake is wrapped in Swiss meringue buttercream, but the white and gold wedding cake flavors differ. This two tier wedding cake was for my sister and I asked her and my brother in law what flavors they would like to have in their gold and white wedding cake frosting. I usually ask for their favorite fruits, sweets, cakes and dessert. Out of what they tell me, I create an individualized wedding cake recipe.
- Mascarpone Strawberry with Milk Chocolate: for the white wedding cake recipe I made a strawberry puree and mixed it together with a mascarpone frosting. On it I sprinkled milk chocolate pieces all in vanilla sponge cakes.
- Kinder Chocolate with Kinder Bueno and Nutella: there was no wedding cake tasting needed, as I created a cream cheese frosting with Kinder Schokolade and Nutella. On top I sprinkled crushed Kinder Bueno pieces all in chocolate sponge cakes.
This gold and white wedding cake recipe from scratch should be made in the course of about three days. I did it the following way for this simple white and gold wedding cake. There are two things I did even before day 1, the kinder schokolade ganache, because it needs to become solid overnight and the wedding cake topper.
- Day 1: make all the frosting and cool overnight, cool or freeze the sponge cakes as well
- Day 2: build the single tiers of the white and gold wedding cake and cool overnight. In case every tier is solid and firm, it can be frosted with buttercream already.
- Day 3: in case it is not done yet, frost the entire cake, cool. Stack and decorate just before cutting.
Personlized Wedding Cake Topper
These 2 tier white and gold wedding cake designs are very simple and elegant, a custom cake topper goes perfectly with it as an eye-catcher. To keep the wedding cake elegant, I would advise to use white chocolate for the wedding toppers, especially for white wedding cake designs.
I used my sister’s wedding invitation logo as an example, printed it out, placed parchment paper over it and started drawing with melted white chocolate in a piping bag. I placed wooden sticks in it and let it cool in the freezer. After 30 minutes I covered the uneven side with white chocolate, turned it upside down on the parchment paper and let it freeze again. This way it becomes even and then details can be added.
Wedding Cake with Gold Leaf
Small wedding cakes can look absolutely gorgeous, especially when they are tall as this plain white wedding cake with flowers and personalized cake topper. I got inspired to use edible gold leaf when looking for gold leaf cake ideas and I must admit that this wedding cake gold look is stunning! For a wedding cake with gold leaf on buttercream the use of gold flakes is straight forward. Once the tiered cake is frosted, rip out pieces of gold leaf and place on the cake with your fingers using gloves or pincers or tweezers. An all white wedding cake decorating tutorial, how I am making this wedding cake, you’ll find on my Instagram highlights.