What about a Fault Line Cake for Easter? This blue, green, mint colored speckled cake with a fault line and Easter egg decorations is perfect for the season! Some delicious vanilla sponge cakes filled with raspberry cream cheese frosting in between and a classic Swiss Meringue buttercream colored in a spring color and speckled with cocoa. The fault line decorations are made out of Easter chocolate eggs and on top a variety of different Easter chocolates combined.
- You can view the step by step making of in my Instagram Highlights
- For more inspiration for creative and celebration cakes, click here
Easter Egg Cake Decorations
For this easy Easter cake recipe there are a couple of components to make the Easter egg cake decorations beautiful. It is truly a chocolate Easter egg cake with so many different chocolates on the side and on top. As I always encourage creativity, I also encourage you to create your own Easter cake decorating ideas to individualize your cake, but the Easter cake ideas I am presenting here, I am also happy to see somewhere else.
- Chocolate Easter eggs: for the fault line we are using small chocolate eggs, which you should always be able to find around Easter time in the supermarket. For this mini egg cake we take those little chocolate eggs and carefully cut them in half to better stick them to the sides.
- Easter chocolates: for the topping of the Fault Line Cake we use a lot of different chocolates in different sizes and shapes and colors. I took two big chocolates and a big chocolate egg to decorate and then used smaller chocolates for this Easter baking
- Speckled cake: there are many Easter cake recipes as speckled cakes and they look beautiful, so for this one I also decided to go for a classic speckled Easter cake. I’ll take you along how to make a speckled layer cake in the next section.
Speckled Egg Cake Recipe
For this speckled eggs cake recipe I was inspired by the Victoria sponge cake. The cake itself consists of delicious vanilla sponge cakes and is filled with raspberry jam and buttercream. As I am already using buttercream for the coating, decided to make a raspberry cream cheese frosting out of it and it was perfect! Refreshing and absolutely delicious. There is no additional sweetener needed, when mixing cream cheese with raspberry jam, as the raspberry jam itself contains already a lot of sugar. For people who don’t eat that sweet, this version of the Victoria sponge cake is ideal.
There are various ways how to make a speckled cake, but for this chocolate speckled sponge cake I decided to color the buttercream and then speckle it with a cocoa mixture. First, it definitely looks good and better to have a small cake which as a decent height. To achieve this, I am not using special speckled cake pans but regular cake pans with a smaller diameter. This makes things so much easier and what I love for a fault line cake or an Easter cake like this, is to bake the batters in separate cake pans. I am using four same sized cake pans for this one. Having a speckled cake stand would look absolutely cute, but a regular also works the same.
For this speckled Easter egg cake recipe I am mixing together dark cocoa powder with a tiny bit of water, dip in the brush and speckle it on the cake. Not much needed, as easy as that!
Fault Line Cake
How to make an Easter cake easy? This recipe is pretty straight forward and fault line cake or a cake speckled eggs may look horribly difficult, but let me tell you, it is not! First, what is a fault line cake? It is basically a cake, with more buttercream on the top and bottom of the sides and in between there is something else displayed, in this case chocolate Easter eggs. There are also varieties of fault line cakes with only a bottom fault line, also super beautiful.
How to make a Fault Line Cake? For this Easter cake we first need a crumb coated cake, this is a cake that contains a small layer of frosting all around it. Then we add another thin layer of frosting on the sides and first stick the chocolates on it. It should not be a straight line of sticking the chocolate one it, but which moves in waves. Then we add a lot of buttercream to only the bottom and the top and scrape it off. This creates a beautiful fault line.