There are plenty of naked wedding cakes ideas but this one with caramel drip glaze is truly unique! This naked cake with flowers has caramel sauce dripping down on the sides and a unique floral decoration paired with pomegranate and figs. The flavors of this vintage wedding cake are fantastic too; the top layer consists of passionfruit Greek yogurt frosting and raspberry buttercream and the bottom layer is made of caramel cream cheese frosting, Toffifees, Nutella and toasted hazelnuts.
- You can find even more impressions and videos of the this wedding cake on my Instagram account!
- Get inspired by more wedding cake recipes in my wedding & bespoke cakes section
Naked Wedding Cake Recipe
This semi naked wedding cake recipe is so incredibly delicious and actually very easy to bake! I used vanilla sponge cakes for both tiers with diameters of 22cm / 8.5inch and 28cm / 11inch. I cut each of these horizontally into four layers. For the fruity tier with passionfruit Greek yogurt frosting and raspberry buttercream, I made two portions of the passionfruit frosting and one portion of the raspberry buttercream and alternately distributed these between the cake layers.
- Passionfruit Greek yogurt frosting: baking a naked wedding cake with flowers is not difficult at all if you take it step by step. For this passionfruit Greek yogurt frosting, first bring passionfruit juice with sugar and cornstarch to a boil until it thickens, then add gelatin and fold in the Greek yogurt as it cools down. At the same time, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks and fold it in as well. Cool the frosting for several hours so that the gelatin makes the frosting firm.
- Raspberry Buttercream: some may be put off by this cream, but I assure you that it hardly tastes like butter and is quite fruity, because it entails 2/3 fruit and the butter only ensures the full-bodied taste and firm consistency. I’m assuring you that this semi naked cake tastes amazing! Finely puree the raspberries (fresh or frozen) and bring to a boil with the sugar and cornstarch until it thickens. Cover the surface with cling film that no skin can develop, let it cool down to room temperature. Whip the butter (room temperature) and add the solid raspberry puree spoon by spoon, keep on whipping in between until you end up with a beautiful and really delicious raspberry buttercream.
There are many naked cake designs out there, but I especially love the 2-tiered ones. Let’s talk about the second tier filling. The couple asked me if I could turn the sweet ‘Toffifee’ into a wedding cake filling. I thought about it and had the idea of picking up the individual components of Toffifee: caramel, hazelnut cream and the hazelnut itself. This resulted in a caramel cream cheese frosting, Nutella, toasted hazelnuts and Toffifee chunks.
- Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting: this frosting is easy to make and I assure you that naked cakes as generally easy to make. Simply mix butter and cream cheese, both at room temperature, and add the caramel. The caramel I’m using is available in cans in the international or Russian section, it actually is sweetened condensed milk that has been boiled for a longer time until it caramelized. This is perfect for this frosting. Then prepare and add the gelatin according to the package instructions and refrigerate the frosting until the gelatin makes it firm.
Naked Cake with Flowers
This naked wedding cake with flowers is often referred to as a naked wedding cake because you can see through the cake layers. This makes this vintage wedding cake even easier to bake! And a caramel drip wedding cake look perfectly goes with it. To create this naked wedding cake style, pipe a rim of buttercream onto the cake layer so that the cake filling does not spill out onto the edges, as the fillings usually have different colors. When one tier is assemble only spread little frosting to cover the cake, I’m using Swiss Meringue buttercream. Make sure that you can still see the cake layers.
Caramel Drip Recipe
This is not a salted caramel drip recipe but can be easily transformed into one. In order to make this caramel drip recipe yourself it needs to have the perfect consistency for a caramel drip for cake! I’m showing you how to make caramel drip for cake, heat up sugar and salt in a saucepan and let caramelize, add just a little bit of butter and heavy cream. This is the easiest way how to make a caramel drip cake recipe, in case you want to turn it into a salted caramel wedding cake recipe, simply add more salt.
How to make a Caramel Drip Cake
This caramel cake drip runs down on the edges of the cake. To create the perfect caramel drizzle on cake, I’m showing you how to do caramel drip on cake. The cake needs to cooled well, the caramel sauce should be at room temperature. First, try the caramel drizzle for cake on the back of the cake. If caramel is still too runny, you can use a little less water or whipped cream for the recipe. Here’s how to caramel drip cake: spread the caramel sauce along the edge with a piping nozzle or spoon and always watch carefully how the drip behaves. Once this is done, the caramel drip cake with flowers can be decorated and turned into a beautiful naked wedding cake with flowers.
Photography by Missmeyerfotografie